A Granddaughter’s Promise & The Diverse VCID Study

A message from Danielle Davis, Clinical Research Coordinator

Educating and supporting families impacted by Alzheimer’s disease has been a personal goal of mine for quite some time. Before my grandmother passed away, I made a promise to her that I would remain involved within the Alzheimer’s community after learning of its prevalence within the African American community. Eight years later, I had no clue it would be in this capacity. Since joining the Center in 2020, I have a greater appreciation and understanding of Alzheimer’s and other dementias. Taking on this role allows me to continuously work on my personal and professional goal of bringing awareness to Alzheimer’s while sharing information about new research studies.

The center is proud to be one of 12 Alzheimer’s Disease Research Centers participating in a new and exciting study led by the University of California, Davis. The Diverse Vascular Cognitive Impairment and Dementia study (VCID) is the first large study to address the question of how white matter lesions found on MRIs impact memory and thinking of individuals from diverse populations. Using advanced brain imaging and blood-based techniques, our goal is to better understand how damaged blood flow to the brain can lead to difficulties in thinking and memory loss.

Vascular diseases are major contributors to cognitive impairment and dementia disproportionately affecting individuals from diverse backgrounds. While being aware that education is key, when it comes to research, so is representation. Research has demonstrated that certain groups develop dementia at higher rates.

Your participation in this important study will help us understand more about how lifestyles and life challenges affect the brain health of people from diverse communities. Participation not only benefits the volunteer, but it could provide key information that will help secure the health of future generations to come

Through our recruitment efforts, we’ve been able to reach individuals within the faith-based community, senior living facilities and from our in-house Speaker Series presentations, but we’d love to expand our reach to those who may be new to research. We are seeking to enroll 225 individuals over the next few years. It’s my hope that the more information provided to communities about the long-term value of these studies will result in increased participation and retention of underrepresented groups.

If you or your organization is interested in learning more about our study, reach out today.

Danielle Davis
daviscd@med.umich.edu
734-615-8378